Irene Virag's Garden Party

I'm Irene Virag -- a writer, a gardener, a cancer survivor. I think ideas are like plants. They need nurturing to grow. And gardeners share both. So welcome to my blog. It’s all about what’s happening in my garden and beyond.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

MY GARDEN RESOLUTIONS


Should last year's garden be forgot and never brought to mind . . .

Now that would be a sad state of affairs indeed. As for me, I'll toast the blooms of yesterday and pamper my orchids and plan this year's beds and heed this quote from Vita Sackville-West:

"The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing better than they have done before."

And so, here -- in no order of priority -- are my garden resolutions for 2010:

Buy plant labels and use them
Plant more hellebores
Create a "rain garden" in my backyard
Replace the Daphne Carol Mackie I lost years ago and still miss
Repot my orchids
Design a tree and shrub border that includes callicarpa and a Stewartia
Use sunblock religiously
Start vegetable seeds on time
Take more photographs
Build a cold frame for year-round veggies
Set up a rain barrel
Organize my garden tools
Keep up with my garden blog
Plant more alliums
Find the perfect climbing rose for my arbors
Be more conscientious about storing my dahlias
Transform my back-40 into a native plant habitat
Turn my mailbox area into a xeriscape
Weed out the clutter -- in and out of the garden
Stop and smell the roses -- the lilies too

Of course, what's really important is how many of these things I actually accomplish. But I'm a realist -- I make no promises. I'll do the best I can. It's fun just making the list.

I'm sure you have your own resolutions. I'd love to hear them.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your resolutions and your January Calendar. What kind of lettuce can one start in a pot? I live in an apartment in the southwest and don't have a garden. Could I do this? Thank you and best wishes to you in 2010!

1/01/2010 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home