Irene Virag's Garden Party

I'm Irene Virag -- a writer, a gardener, a cancer survivor. I think ideas are like plants. They need nurturing to grow. And gardeners share both. So welcome to my blog. It’s all about what’s happening in my garden and beyond.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Fall and Rise of the Sunflowers











This spring out of concern for my husband's back we converted two of our vegetable beds to flowers. Sunflowers, to be exact. I saw the variety known as Italian White in one of my favorite catalogues and it looked great. I wanted to go subtle -- no mammoth sun-faces on gargantuan stalks.

I admit that I wasn't wild about what came up -- little flowers that hung their heads on skinny stalks. But then the rains came and kept coming. When the rain finally stopped what I saw was far worse -- little flowers on skinny stalks sprawled in the mud. I came within an inch of pulling them all out. Maybe dahlias, I was thinking. But my stubborn streak prevailed. By the end of the day, the fallen flowers were all staked up.

And then the hot days came and kept coming. The sunflowers never wilted. When I turn into the driveway, I can see them standing tall inside the green picket fence. They look terrific. Sometimes, you just gotta believe.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very inspirational! Even with global warming, I'll be able to have pretty flowers. To the nursery!

8/09/2006 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your sunflowers look amazing. Just looking at your pictures of them cheers me up. Good work.

8/14/2006 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the idea of sunflowers, they have a personality all their own, and they are not ashamed to show it!

8/24/2006 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home